Walking through Medina's streets gives the feeling of being taken back in time with the town square, shops, and the small town feeling. The building that catches everyone's eye is the bright red firehouse. At one time, before 1878, Medina City never had a firehouse. Three major fires changed this though. These fires never discouraged the citizens but instead brought them closer together as they rebuilt the city. Medina was a town worth saving and is a great town to live in. It was a charming little place with close-knit neighbors. Through out the years, the fire department has expanded as the city's population grows.
Around nine o'clock in April 1848 the people of were settling in for the night when the cry of fire rang through the Village of Medina. Men rushed out of their house frantically looking for ladders but none could be found. The wind was not their friend as it spread, crumbling fifteen buildings. The next day the people looked at the destruction and decided that Medina was a great place to live and rebuilding began immediately. Twenty-two years later a cry of "Fire" was heard through the square. Church and court house bells rang and the square was filled with people desperately trying to put out the fire. Reports on how the fire occurred were confusing but witnesses say that two men were in the back of a barber shop and upset a coal oil lamp fell on the floor. The Seville firemen tried to come to the rescue but were too late. If the people wanted Medina to survive something had to be done. The town voted on a volunteer fire department in 1874 but never got a fire truck. February 1877 came along with the Empire Block fire. The citizens still insisted that Medina rebuilds. This prompted the town to build a firehouse located at 50 Public Square. The Council, with much pressure from the community,bought a Number 4 Silsby Rotary Steam Engine. Whenever there was a fire from now on, one could see the horses racing through the streets pulling the wagon. As technology improved, new fire trucks came into the fire station. One was the chemical engine which later got crashed when the fire fighters believed that putting the wagon on to the street car tracks would help them get to the fire more quickly. Instead the idea delayed them greatly due to the fact that the wagon wheels did not fit the street car tracks. This caused the wagon to be caught into the tracks and the chemical wagon was strewn over half a block. Another famous fire truck is 'Old Asthma' she wheezed which is retired but can be seen driving in Medina's parades where the crowds cheer when it comes down the street.
The fire station started out with volunteers and the first fire chief was Ephram E. Brenner. Due to Medina expanding, the fire station could no longer be in the square with all the congestion. Today there are three fire stations with three full-time employees and several part time firefighters.
During the 1950's the Community Design Committee was created to redesign the town. The first building was the fire house since it was such an important place. A few gallons of red paint and the fire station looked brand new. Red is the standard color that people recognize with fire departments. One can still go into the square and see the old fire house today.