In the early 1800's Medina looked vastly different than it does today. One glaring difference is the square. Today, 210 South Broadway Street is home to Medina's beautiful public library. But in the 1800's, it was home to something very different. A house, in fact. But not just any house, this was a mansion, even by today's standards.
Built in 1833 by a wealthy merchant named David King, the house was modeled after America's very own White House. David King was one of the original investors in the Connecticut Land Company, which owned all the land in the Western Reserve. His land investments were in Medina, which is why he came to Medina, already with an extreme amount of wealth. While he lived here, he sold pork and liquor out of the South West corner of the square, which is today home to the popular frozen yogurt establishment, Lemonberry. On top of all of this, he was also, in a way, one of Medina's first banks, by loaning out money here and there to people who needed it.
Fast forward 70 years and the house was no longer owned by David King, but now by a man named Fremont Phillips. Phillips was given the offer to move the house to make room for Medina's public library. It was cut into pieces and rolled just down the road to 505 North Broadway on small rollers and railroad track ties.
Phillips sold the original plot of land to Franklin Sylvester, who's name is immortalized in our public library today. The house was then sold to a man named Ed Deible, who owned it for about 50 years, into the 1960's.
Unfortunately, come the 1990's the house was embarassingly neglected by the man who owned it after Deible. It had detoriated so badly during the time that the entire front of the house almost literally fell off.
Thankfully, Ed Deible had a grandson who took particular interest in saving this house. After the owner let it almost fall apart, it was put up for auction, and bought by Dieble's grandson, Jim Gowe, who now owns the houe and has restored to its former glory.