Terrill House: 439 East Liberty Street

Beginning in the mid nineteenth century, William L. Terrill became the proprietor of the American House not to be confused with the American Hotel, another admirable hotel in Medina. This later became an apartment for much of the twentieth century until the Schuberts renovated it into a house in 1974. However; the people who lived here earlier tell much of the story of this exotic, Greek revival type home.

Terrill was one of the wealthier people in Medina who had been a resident of Cleveland and donated much to the city. He spent relief money repairing the square after an 1870 fire burned down a few of the buildings devastating those who lived there. After he died in 1883, his wife Eunice took over the hotel until 1898 when it was sold to Roy F. Huddleston who had graduated from Medina High School earlier. Huddleston eventually became a member of the Dodge auto agency from 1922 to 1934 while modifying the hotel into an apartment dividing the house into two up and down rooms to accommodate people further. The apartment house was later sold around 1948 to Harold E. Roshon, a postmaster of Medina at the time. He further changed the place by adding more bathrooms and other amenities to alter much of the interior.

The former hotel that became an apartment for much of the twentieth century was later sold to the current owners, Fred and Jill Schubert in 1974. They began to restore the house into the Greek revival style home that it was before recreating the wooden ceilings and beams and adding a new "Dutch" door. Newer additions were added to the kitchen to accommodate more modern living standards, but the remains of the old fire place inside the house are still in tact and furnished. A side porch with square pillars was also added to create a more Greek style home the place once had. The house was openly toured in the late fall, but is no longer viewed due to the closing of the YWCA who funded the historical homes tour.

Greek revival homes were typically built in the mid 1800's after a basic type house was built and then reformed into a more complex dwelling. They reflected the democratic ideals of Greek and Roman city states that were popular at this time. Classical elements such as a rectangular form and masculine qualities shaped these houses. Many had weighty columns and heavy cornices that resembled a miniature Greek temple.

Images

Map