Studio Knit

The History of Studio Knit, in Medina,Ohio is as rich as the history of the town itself. The Medina County Public Square has been a major attraction for people for many years. Its amazing history has astounded many with the shops that cover the square, some stores even date back to before WWII. To understand how the space now called Studio Knit evolved over the years you have to be able to understand the town itself.

The Medina Square has been a source of pride for the county for many years, it brings the whole community together. It is also the social center of the town. Medina, founded in 1818 has one of the richest histories in Ohio. It went from a small town to being named an official city in 1954. The town courthouse, built in 1841, is still standing in the square today. During a period in Medina's history when everyone wanted a new and rapid industrializing town and people thought the town was outdated, the courthouse was being threatened to be torn down. Thankfully, the Historical Society in Medina stopped this from happening. Still, the Medina that stands today was quickly being changed because everyone thought that it was outdated. Once again, the Historical Society put out persistent efforts and the square was restored in 1967 making it the historical attraction that it is today.

Images Courtesy of Medina Historical Society

Images

Store Front Studio Knit

Store Front Studio Knit

This new store on this historic square is surely making an impression. Although this is a relatively new store, many people visit it, and this includes people from outside of Medina. The chatter about Studio Knit reaches many ears and many people want to go in and check it out. View File Details Page

Beautiful structure maintained from Logos Christian Bookstore

Beautiful structure maintained from Logos Christian Bookstore

Note the Victorian stature that has been maintained over the years at 28 Public Square where Studio Knit now stands. Logos Christian Bookstore was on the Medina Square for a short amount of time, before Studio Knit and after Rapp's Jewelry Store. This bookstore chain has various locations all around the U.S. that draws people in with their own personal charms. Their products include books, gifts, music, cards, and gift cards for various occasions. The books that are included in the stores range from the very old, to the newest releases. This chain of bookstores has been around since 1947 and they even have their own non-profit trade association. Each individual store gets to choose what religion or group to direct their merchandise to based on the town itself. The same went for the store in Medina. Many people would come in to buy cards, and music as well as books. There is still a Logos in Medina it has just changed its location allowing Studio Knit to enter the building it once held. There is no doubt that Logos Christian Bookstore had a large influence on the community and it was a delight to have it on the Square. It is part of the history that will never be forgotten. View File Details Page

In the beginning

In the beginning

Life in Medina in 1871 is very different from how it is today. The shops, the lifestyles, and the people are very different. In 1871 Medina was still somewhat in its early years but the Public Square was still the big place in the town. You went there to get everything from groceries and clothes, to hardware supplies, or to meet a friend at the local bar. During this time, 28 Public Square Medina was called Yoder Brothers Shoe Store. As you can imagine, during this time, the shoes must be practical and be able to be worked in. The town was mainly agricultural filled with farmers, so work boots were the main item sold. Women, had to manage the home, as well as, help out with the work, so practical shoes were sold for them here too. Surely there were shoes for special occasions such as church related events and weddings, but these were not abundant in the store. Yoder's was one of the only places on the square that sold this much of a variety of shoes, so naturally they were very popular with the locals. Through the years, Yoder Brothers Shoe Store, was visited by many and was the main place to go if you needed a pair of shoes. View File Details Page

1900's

1900's

Viewed from across the street in this 1907 photo, 28 Public Square is the third building from the left, marked by the last two sets of double row windows and the first horse-drawn carriage from the left parked directly in front. View File Details Page

1930's

1930's

In June of 1936, Russel Rapp bought out the jeweler Sam Brainard, and created Rapp & Son, Inc. This was the start of this fine and successful jewelry business. Some of the first employees of the firm were Mrs. Edith Morton and Mrs. Evelyn Dushenke. View File Details Page

1940's

1940's

In this newspaper clipping from 1942, 28 Public Square, then Rapp's Jewelry, is outlined by the blue box. View File Details Page

1960's

1960's

The sign for Rapp's Jewelry store can be seen on the white building just to the left of the large Ziegler's storefront in this photo from 1961. View File Details Page

Intriguing storefront

Intriguing storefront

Although Mr. Rapp was not a registered jeweler at the time, he went to the American Gem Society and from there became a registered jeweler. Through his hard work, Rapp & Son, Inc. qualified to be in the American Gem Society which only was offered to a firm that maintained high standards like reputation, and integrity. Also they needed to have a well kept and appealing appearance, have a showing of stock, having good merchandise, and the offering of merchandise at the same price to every buyer. View File Details Page

Rapp's Jewelry storefront

Rapp's Jewelry storefront

In 1967 Rapp began to remodel his store and make it more appealing. Again in 1968, the exterior of the building was being remodeled, and the Community Design Committee approved of the changes. Rapp's Jewelry is the white storefront building just to the left of Ziegler's, with gold lettering upon a black sign. This store was very successful from its beginning in 1936 all the way up until the 90's. It has a long history of good business and it is part of the history of 28 Public Square, Medina, Ohio. View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Sam S.; Max D.; Carrie K.; Kristin S.; Rachel N., “Studio Knit,” Discover Medina, accessed July 22, 2017, http://discovermedina.org/items/show/11.

Related Tours

Share this Story